Dog and Puppy Health
 

dog health care

Human Foods Can Be Dangerous for Dog's Health

Dogs love the flavor of chocolate, but did you know that chocolate in sufficient doses is lethally toxic to your dog's health? Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.

A chocolate bar can be sufficient to make a small dog extremely ill or even kill it. Approximately thirty grams of baking chocolate per kilogram (1/2 ounce per pound) of body weight is enough to be poisonous. In case of accidental intake of chocolate by especially a smaller dog, contact a veterinarian or animal poison control immediately; it is commonly recommended to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion. Large breeds are less susceptible to chocolate poisoning, but still are far less tolerant of the substance than humans are.

Note:Carob treats are often available as dog treats are unrelated to chocolate and are safe for your dog to eat.
It has recently been confirmed that grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog's health. However one vet  believes it may be an acute auto-immune response to plant-borne viruses in the same manner as FIP in cats.

While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. If your dog's health is affected by them, they will usually begin to vomit a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.

Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat. Garlic is also known to cause diarrhoea and vomiting.

Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.

Alcoholic beverages pose much the same temptation and hazard to a dog's health as it is to humans. A drunk dog displays behavior pretty much like that of an intoxicated person. (However, beer presents another problem; see below.)

Did you kow that hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results? Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Some dogs have food allergies just as humans do; this is particular to the dog and not characteristic of the species as a whole. An example is a dog vomiting whenever he eats salmon; many humans likewise have seafood allergies.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"All knowledge, the totality of all questions
and all answers is contained in the dog." ~ Kafka

 

Healthy Dog Toolkit